Thursday, June 5, 2014

The SAT, a Life Changer


I love taking a test that is four hours long; there is nothing in the universe that can substitute it's entertainment. The test writers partition the SAT's three categories--math, critical reading, and writing--into ten sections, and each section is estimated to take about twenty-five minutes to complete. I love timed tests because they force pressure upon me, so I remain tense and challenged. When taking the SAT, reading is more fun than ever. You're like a mouse racing through a maze in hope to reach the golden prize, cheese, before it disappears into oblivion. I read like a madman as my eyes maneuver through the words. I read so fast that my eyes become unsynchronized with my lips, and I finish the passage before my lips spit the last words. The test is, truly, a masterpiece.

Although I haven't taken the SAT yet (I will in two days from now), I have done innumerable amounts of practice questions and tests. From those experiences, I concluded that the test is menial, tedious, boring, and all other synonyms that fall in that category. Since I love math, the only section that was somewhat bearable was the math section, but it's still not a day in an amusement park. This test, in my opinion, is worse than any exam.

From my practice test scores, I am expecting an SAT score ranging from 1700-1800. Now that's surprising to me because I consider myself an intelligent individual; I'm not trying to brag (seriously). In my junior year, I managed to jungle four AP courses and maintain A's in the classes. I even achieved an unimaginable weighted GPA--a 4.6. I even have a 3.8 unweighted GPA. Now you can see my frustration; I should easily achieve a SAT score above 2000.

Now this may be insightful for future students who are going to take the SAT. I came to a realization that education from school is unparalleled to the SAT. Majority of the education you obtain from high school is futile. You do an assignment, homework, or a project and receive credit for it. However, you don't do any actual thinking when doing your homework; you're just copying definitions or answers from YahooAnswers. The A you receive in class is acquired by putting in work--not brain power. It's like cutting grass with a pair a scissors. As long as you get it done you will receive an A, and you will have the false sense of ingenuity. However, the real genius is the engineer who created the lawnmower to do the same amount work in less time. So if you, future SAT takers, hear the phrase, "by doing well in school will prepare you for the SAT," don't believe it.

I'm not saying every high school is like what I stated. However there are few teachers that incorporate critical thinking into their classroom.

My advice for preparing for the SAT is to start thinking. The whole test is based on logical reasoning and critical thinking. There's no methodical or standardized steps that you can take to answer each question. Instead, you have to take what you hopefully learned from high school and apply that knowledge to the question. If you can do that, you are beginning to think and your score is inevitably proliferating.

Now that you know that actual thinking is involved (I know it's a shocker), do ample amounts of practice tests. The hardest task, in my opinion, is enduring the four hours. If you're a freshman or a sophomore, you have more potential to do well on the test because you can end the mindless game that your school plays with you earlier than others. Unfortunately, I learned this in my junior year.

The SAT can alter your life. You score determines what school you will go to, who you will meet, etc. Have you ever imagined how different your life could be if you went to a different high school? The same goes for college. You might meet your soul mate or a best friend at college because you obtained a good score on the SAT. Well, I guess that can still happen if you didn't do so well. Ignore that. I'm trying to inspire you to do well. I'm trying to end the zombie apocalypse before the real zombies arrive. Remember that you still have something in your head that makes you intelligent--don't waste it by being a zombie (wait until Halloween).

No comments:

Post a Comment