Sunday, October 26, 2014

My First Day of School 2014-2015


I always hate the first couple days of school. Every time when school starts, there are always activities that involve "getting to know each other." At least in high school, people do not formally introduce each other by shaking hands and talking about the weather. Normally--well since this is how I make friends in school, I assume everyone follows the way I do things (self-aggrandizing)--someone finds a very small group of friends. Then those friends bring their friends to the group and then you talk to more people and more friends are generated. Soon, this group will quickly expand, and you will create different tiers of friends i.e. best friends, everyday friends, back-up friends, etc. Anyway, these activities that we do are ironically antisocial. For example--I'm pretty sure you guys have done this infamous game--everyone in class was given a piece of paper that lists different kinds of characteristics that someone might have. You know, having brown eyes, playing an instrument, or ditching class last year. I swear to God that the paper said "ditching class." So you're suppose to find people with these qualities and get their signatures. I think this is a conspiracy with the school's administration and teachers. They're trying to catch students who ditch class. They came up with this fake game, so they can insidiously lure students into trouble. Since, students have to sign the paper, they're inconspicuously agreeing to a year of detention. I'm on to you. Anyway, teachers predict that adolescent teenagers are going to act like professionals and be social. Instead, we found a way to transform this social activity to an antisocial activity. We got so good at it that we didn't even have to open our mouths to receive a signature. We would simply make brief eye contact, exchange papers, sign one of the options, and go to the next signee. Best friends forever. Trust me, a majority of people are very social--especially in high school. However, when meeting new people is forced it makes the situation extremely awkward, and it makes the acquaintance feel fictitious. For teachers who force these types of activities onto their students, please stop. Seriously, stop. Instead, let the class organically explore their classmates' personalities. Or if this is supposed to find ditchers, then I give you props. It's very clever that you guys are using what teenagers like--being social--to find people cutting class, and throwing them into solitude or detention. I'm telling you "teachers advocating for student solitude" is a real thing. Other than these social not social activities, the school year looks promising. Majority of my friends have almost the exact same schedule as mine. So that means a lot of productivity is going to occur--not really. My teachers seem cool, and I hope they remain cool. Well, technically no one is cool in southern California; it's like 90,000 damn degrees. So why don't you, my viewers tell me, how was your first day of school? Or if you haven't started school then... well you're lucky.

With that being said, I'll see you next Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment