Every high school senior faces the trembling question: what college major am I going study? Scary. I know. It's time to break away from guidance and to start making decisions by yourself. So what college major should you study? Are you going to college for enlightenment? Do you want a well-paid career from your major?
Here's my video (feel free to continue reading the blog).
STEM majors are distinguished from other majors mostly by their larger salaries that people acquire after college. The reason why these majors obtain five to six digits in salaries is because these majors force people to gain an applicable skill that is useful in the real world. Science allows people to study the world and to generate innovations to save people or make the world efficient. Technology takes the scientists' discoveries and creates machines to make the world a better place. Engineering fixes, designs, and innovates many things--machines, planes, chemicals, civil projects, etc--to ultimately make things more efficient. Math goes with science, but it looks at abstractions to generate equations, so scientists can test their mathematical hypotheses. These majors are intertwined--they go hand to hand--and they're ultimate goal is to make the world efficient and to make people's lives easier.
An important factor when choosing a major--if you want a lucrative career--is to make sure that the major forces you to learn an actual skill. An actual skill is one that can be physically applied to an industry, so it can benefit the industry's product or to increase the industry's efficiency; therefore, it can benefit the world and people's lives. That's the goal of STEM majors and that's what other majors lack.
English, history, psychology, art, etc. majors fail to gain a skill because more than likely a computer can replace their knowledge. However, some do make a lofty salary if a masters degree is acquired, but even with a masters degree some of these majors are useless (when it comes to making money). For example, the history major can easily be replaced by a computer science major who can develop a program to teach all the material that is necessary. English is worthless because majority of the population can write, read, and speak English fluently. Famous physicists--such as Michio Kaku--wrote books that were bestsellers, and he didn't major in English. Psychology can be lucrative, but it needs an extra two years of schooling. Art majors is a risky investment because it depends on the artist's product to obtain money like a business. The list goes on. My advice is to major in a STEM major if you want to make the big bucks.
I am going to study mechanical engineering when I enter college. I'm not studying it just because I want to make money, but also because I love math and science (here's my math and science blog: ), and I will love to innovate and make the world more efficient. Fortunately, my passions allow me to acquire a lucrative career that I will love to have.
This blog is not to force you to study a STEM major, so you can make a lot of money. This blog is open your mind about college majors. I want you to not lose any money by majoring in a useless major because you expected a lucrative career from it. Maybe it's better to not go to college at all because you'll be better off getting a job right after high school. Now, if you really want study some major just because you love it, go for it. I'm not trying to stop you. I'm just forcing you to look at the harsh reality that you might not gain ample money from that major. It's AMERICA do whatever you want.

No comments:
Post a Comment